A Day in the Life of a Charlotte Mason Inspired Home School.
(Family time – an important part of our lives together)
I have been using or should I say inspired by the Charlotte Mason (CM) method since I started home schooling. But lately I haven’t been following it as much as I had planned. My goal this coming school year is to fully get back to the CM method. I found it when I first starting researching home school and I knew it was the right way to go for our family. Over the last two years, I unfortunately got lazy and started leaving out the beautiful extras that the CM method has. Or I started falling into a more traditional method for the core subjects. So my plan for this year is to go back and follow the CM method just as much as I possibly can.
So as I came up with the plan for this upcoming school year, I kept this goal in mind! Right now I have to say that this post is more of a “hope to be” a day in the life of a Charlotte Mason inspired home school. This is the goal but it has never in all my years of home schooling been daily reality! This is a new year and a new season of life and I am hoping (in the LORD) for this to be reality for most of our days! I know one thing I have to do to make this a reality, I must work on Habit Training for my kids and especially for myself. I always say I am a work in progress and I acknowledge the LORD has a lot more work to do in me and through me. So I know for this to become reality (at least most days), even with habit training, and hard work in all areas of our life, it will still only be by HIS grace!!
*Here is the daily SCHEDULE I created to help me have days like I describe below.*
* See my All about Charlotte Mason post HERE*
(Creation *Nature* Study and Nature Journals are a BIG part of the Charlotte Mason Method)
- Wake-Up (Me: 6am (Bible, Computer Time , and hopefully a little exercise). The boys: 7:30am)
- God & Me Time (This is where the boys have their own time with GOD)
- Breakfast *8:00am (Read from one-two of our table books * Poetry, Church History, AIG resources, VOM magazine, etc* )
- Morning Duties (morning chores, taking vitamin, get dressed, etc…)
- Practice Piano
- Bible* 9/9:30am (This is our time to get in the word together), keeping with the idea of short lessons, and using narration as a key component to the lessons as CM suggested.
- Exercise or once a week a Creation walk
(Walk outside, observing and enjoying GOD’s amazing Creation)
- A few “Individual” Subjects (Math, Reading, Grammar, etc), keeping to the short lessons suggested by CM.
- A few “Together” Subjects (History, Science, Geography, Natural History with Living Books, biographies and hands-On projects, etc.), keeping with short lessons and using narration as a key component to the lessons as CM suggested.
- Break *30mins* (Outside time if the weather is good)
- Individual Subjects (whatever is left for the day), keeping to the short lessons suggested by CM.
- Together Subjects (whatever is left for the day), keeping with short lessons and using narration as a key component to the lessons as CM suggested.
- Lunch *1-1:45pm (Read from one-two of our table books * Poetry, Church History, AiG resources, VOM magazine, etc* )
- The Extra’s*1:45 Outside Time, Artist/Picture Study, Music/Composer Study, Hymn Study, Folksongs, Hands-On-Art, Handicraft/Life Skills, Piano Lesson, P.E. games, Park-day, Creation Study & Creation Walk, Driving Range, Golf game, board/card games, blogging, e-mailing friends/family, Educational websites, t.v., dvd’s, games, etc.
- Free Play*3:30pm
- Dinner *6/6:30pm (Read from one-two of our table books * Poetry, Church History, AIG resources, VOM magazine, etc* )
- Evening Time: Outside play, a walk, game night, movie time, literature read-a-loud, and free time
(Golf with daddy)
What is your inspired method of homeschooling or parenting?
~ written by Angie @ The One Thing