What are the benefits? Let me count the ways…
- Your relationship as husband and wife stays a priority
- Your children see your time together as something very important
- Grandparents get your babies all to themselves
- Friends you trade babysitting with will get a date night too
- Babysitters earn money
1 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.
What can you do? Let me count the ways…
- Relax and enjoy!
- Appreciate one on one time to talk and focus on each other
- Slowly sip the coffee drink you’ve craved all week
- Browse the bookstore
- Walk through the park
- Picnic in your favorite spot
- Take an evening drive through the city, just talking all the miles
- Birthday, Christmas or just window shop
- Catch a movie
- Have supper at home with the children and grandparents. Then go out for dessert or a milkshake
- Go out to eat someplace nice or just grab a burger and fries
2 If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
Date nights at home? Let me count the ways…
- Pizza, popcorn and movie for dear ones. A table for two just for you.
- Children tucked in early. A movie, listening to music or a board game for you two.
- The baby monitor tucked on your hip. A moonlit stroll for you two.
- Jumbo mug of hot chocolate balanced on your knee. You two sitting close by a warm fire.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
…Puts up with anything,
…Trusts God always,
…Always looks for the best
How can you afford it? Let me count the ways…
- Set aside money for dating. A budget category created with rewards for generations to come.
- Give your friends and relatives a break. Birthday and Christmas shopping for you will be so easy, they will thank you! Knowing you enjoy date night, they can give you gift cards for restaurants and coffee shops.
- Clip coupons. Go for buy-one-get-one deals.
- Catch an early bird discount. Avoid the crowds and save some money.
3 -7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.
Is it worth the investment, worth the planning, worth the time and effort? Let me count the ways…
My husband and I have a date night once a week. If for some reason we can’t go out, we plan special time at home or go out for coffee on a Sunday afternoon. This is a cherished time. I come back renewed. I can be a better mama to the children. And hopefully, a better wife. One word of caution – do not make your date time all about running errands. Do that another day. Focus on your marriage.
When you exchanged vows, the two of you became a family. You were a family before children. Before homeschooling. Before all the activities you are currently committed to. Just the two of you.
I urge you.
I charge you.
I beg you.
Date your husband.
I promise you.
You will love it.
Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.
Power of a Praying Wife, Stormie O’Martian
Doorposts’ Family Circles
To Love Honor and Vacuum’s Wifey Wednesdays
This is something I’ve wanted to squeeze into our routine for so long, but the “can’t afford it” factor has always stopped us. Thanks for all the great suggestions! I also love the idea of doing something at home when you can’t get out – because “can’t find (or afford) a babysitter” is another one that always squashes our dating plans.
It has been a joy to contribute to YOUR happy home! Love those babies!
Wow, once a week. I think my hubby and I have a date every 6 mo =( I haveing been meaning to do something about that but……. After reading this I have no more excuses. Thank you for this inspirational message. God Bless, Angie
Such great points!
Ok y’all. We’ve been participating in a Married Life ministry of our church. We have laughed and laughed on date nights. Just finished Great Date #2. You can download #1 via a link in this post. Be sure to read Hodgepodgedad’s 🙂 https://www.yourbesthomeschool.com/HodgePodge/Hodgepodgemom/Entries/2010/4/10_Saturday_spotlight__Date_nights.html