Growing up, Nana’s Famous Chocolate Pound Cake recipe was the one at family gatherings. Doesn’t that speak the loudest about a dessert?
It’s a pound cake. A chocolate pound cake. The icing makes it a showcase (and it’s what us children wanted to sneak a bite of as we ran by – because it tastes just like fudge!)
Nana’s Famous Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 Tbs milk
- 1 box confectioner’s sugar
- Cream sugar, butter and shortening.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Alternately add the sifted dry ingredients, eggs and milk.
- Beat well on low speed.
- Pour into a greased Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake one hour at 350 then 10 minutes at 325.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add vanilla and one box confectioner’s sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and stir until smooth.
- (Nana’s note: may have to add a little milk but be careful not to put too much in)
- Spread on top of cake.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Make it on Saturday to enjoy on Sunday. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream.
Another recipe from that red and white checked cookbook Nana gave me.
For more Sunday lunch ideas – that can be enjoyed any day of the week, see the other Fast Food for Slow Sundays recipes.
First published November 2011