One of the best things we can do for ourselves and for our children is to gain Charlotte Mason’s Habit of Attention. When we can truly fix our attention on a matter at hand, we are already over half way to our destination of success.
Photo by Amy Law
For those who decide to embark upon the career of habit formation, remember:
-One habit at a time-One day at a time-Practice good actions weekends, too-Nip the weed in the bud because formation is more efficiently accomplished than reformationBut be encouraged with this wise old saying “One habit overcometh another”. You may not be able to teach old dogs new tricks, but GOD is able to make all things new again. Isn’t this a great blessing? — the last paragraph of Chap 9 (The Happiness of Habit) on pg 76 of The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola
How to Gain Charlotte Mason’s Habit of Attention
I am now focusing on the Habit of Attention with my children and I look with hope towards the day that I will be able to share our victories testimony!!
A couple of things I am doing now to help my children gain this Habit is:
1. Practice only saying something once
2. Stop “talking” so much (no nagging)
3. Become more organized (ex. Work Box System)
4. Close to door to distractions (ex. Close bedroom door (where the toys are) during school hours)
The Definition of Attention
I will leave you with a definition of Attention that I came across one day that I just love but sadly I do not remember where it came from——ATTENTION is LISTENING with your EYES, EARS & HEART!!!
Charlotte Mason’s own home school education books (Vol 1) written in modern language
- The complete book you can access here (Volume one is at the top of the page)
- Section on Habits
- Second section on Habits
More Charlotte Mason Homeschooling Resources
- To find out about Charlotte Mason and the Charlotte Mason Home School Method go HERE
- Laying down the Rails by Sonya Shafer is a great book to assist you in Habit Formation
- Smooth and Easy Days is a FREE e-book on Habit Formation by Sonya Shafer ***Awesome***
- Workbox System Resources:
- Sue Patrick (Creator of the Workbox System) main site
- Workbox Review @ Curriculum Choice Blog
- Sue Patrick’s Workbox System A User’s Guide
- Everything You Need to Know About Choosing a Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Get Started Homeschooling
Please share with us what you do to exercise the Habit of Attention for yourself or your children.
by Angie first published February 2010
“but GOD is able to make all things new again” – I love that! and “listening with your ears, eyes and heart”
Thanks for another great post full of resources.