Bats can be such a fun and engaging topic for children because they are so fascinating! Learn about bats in your homeschool with this comprehensive guide that includes nature study, art and more.
Bats Are Fascinating!
Bats are the most amazing fliers as they swoop and streak around the sky catching their dinner.
“There are no other wings so wonderful as the bat’s; the thin membrane is equipped with sensitive nerves which inform the flier of the objects in his path, so that he darts among the branches of trees at terrific speed and never touches a twig…The flight of the bat consists of darting hither and thither with incredible swiftness, and making sharp turns with no apparent effort…..He makes a collecting net of the wing membrane stretched between the hind legs and tail, doubling it up like an apron on the unfortunate insects…..thus he is always doing good service to us on summer evenings by swallowing a multitude of insects.”Handbook of Nature Study, page 242
We have observed just these behaviors in our backyard bats. I know they are ridding our area of many, many mosquitoes. We can’t help but cheer them on as we watch their movements in the dusky evening.
All too fast, the moment passes and they are gone. We know they will make their return the next evening so we don’t have long to wait to watch this flying wonder of the twilight hours.
Bat Learning Activities For Your Homeschool
There is so much to learn about bats and how beneficial they are! They eat many farm pests and mosquitoes and are so interesting! You can learn more with:
Bat Homeschool Nature Study
Bats are wonderful creatures. They are important for pollination of plants and are beneficial in many more ways. Enjoy this bats homeschool nature study on mammals that fly and have echolocation! Find the full bat study on our sister site, Homeschool Nature Study.
Members of Homeschool Nature Study also enjoy an Outdoor Hour Challenge lesson on the hearing of bats and echolocation with the Handbook of Nature Study.
In addition, here are some more resources for you to enjoy as you learn about bats:
~ Some of the below links are affiliate links to homeschool learning resources. See our full disclosure policy.
- More information on the Little Brown Bat
- Ozark Big Eared Bat coloring page
- Lots of activities on bats at Enchanted Learning
- Life cycle of the bat notebook page
- Stellaluna – classic picture book story about a bat
- INCLY Small Bat House Kit for Outdoors – Shelter Box Roosting Single Chamber Natural Cedar Wood, Pre-Finished Easy to Install
- Bats National Geographic Kids
- Bats by Gail Gibbons
- The Bat Book
Bat Art Lesson
Looking For More Animal Studies?
There is no end to the fun you can have studying animals! Here are a few more ideas to get you started:
- The Ultimate List of Mammals Nature Study using the Outdoor Hour Challenges – You can enjoy a simple mammals homeschool nature study with these resources we have gathered for you to use in your own backyard. It is such a delight to study and learn about these beautiful creatures!
- Bear Nature Study for Your Homeschool – You can enjoy some forest fun nature studies in your homeschool and do a bear nature study Outdoor Hour Challenge.
- Animal Tracks Nature Hunt: Mammals Homeschool Study – Use these nature study lesson plans, suggestions, ideas and resources for identifying animal tracks!
- Homeschool Outdoor Hour Challenges Using the Handbook of Nature Study – such a great resource for learning about all kinds of animals and more in God’s beautiful world.
You might also like The Ultimate Guide to Fall Leaf Activities for Your Homeschool.
Did you know that Bat Appreciation Month is October?