Do you sometimes feel the need to pull the plug and release some of your child(ren)’s energy? As the mom of all boys, there is not much down-time in our home. Without some guidance from Mom and Dad, things can get out of control quickly. I am always looking for fun ways to keep them active, especially during school breaks.
Here are my top ten ways to keep kids active…
1) Free play outside is always a great time! I love to watch how creative they can be when given some time in the backyard.
2) Go to a local park. Mix it up. Try out different parks and pick your favorites, then rotate amongst those throughout the year.
3) Practice your child’s favorite sport with them. I have spent many hours just throwing a baseball or kicking a soccer ball around. The boys love the attention from mom and it keeps me active as well!
4) Pool time! One of the best ways to release some built-up energy is swimming. It is always a great time and they are ready for a nap before you even get out of the parking lot.
5) Go for a walk. There is so much to see all around you. A simple walk through the neighborhood will reveal things you may not notice as you drive by in your car.
6) Ride bikes or scooters. We are so blessed to have a trail close to home that is designed for this. My oldest will ride 20+ miles with dad and the younger ones like to ride their scooters as I walk along with them. An excellent way to get some exercise and some much-needed family time.
7) Visit a state park. We have many here in Georgia that offer fun activities and programs for the whole family. Check your state parks’ website for a calendar of activities.
8) Play in the dirt. Start a small garden or plant some flowers. This is a very rewarding activity. Kids can look forward to the day their flower blooms or the vegetables begin to sprout.
9) Design your own nature scavenger hunt. This is always a blast and the whole family can participate.
10) Wash the vehicles. Admit it; this is something you have been putting off. Why not get the kids involved? My kids love to help wash the vehicles! WARNING: Everyone will get wet. The result…chores done and all had a good time!
We invite you to subscribe so you won’t miss any Habits for a Happy Home.
What are some of your favorite activities to keep your children active?
~Written by Heidi
woo hoo – wash the vehicles!! Thanks for the fun list – it’s easy to get in a rut and these are some great ideas. Thanks!