I found myself looking through my archives for some Christmas favorites. So, I thought it would be good to place them all in a nice little spot. A homeschool mom’s Christmas favorites like recipes we use often in December, advent resources plus holiday and winter art and more.
He appeared and the soul felt its worth…
A Homeschool Mom’s Christmas Favorites
Here are Christmas favorites from all three Hodgepodge categories – homemaking, homecooking and homeschooling:
Christmas Traditions and Ponderings:
- Three Gifts for Christmas – just like the magi, our gift-giving guideline for our five children
- I Am Santa Claus – Hodgepodgedad’s funny take
Favorite Family Christmas Recipes and Activities:
These are such Christmas favorites – the ones we find we make every year!
- Sugar Cookies – Nana’s favorite and a recipe for year ’round. Plenty of sprinkles necessary
- Reindeer Mix a.k.a. White Christmas Snack
- Mama Ann’s Morning Bars – another year ’rounder but especially special at Christmas
- Southern Butter Rolls – for dessert or breakfast
- Microwave Fudge – great for neighbor gifts or just because
- Oreo Truffles – no description necessary
- Slow Cooker Garlic Dip – great for parties
- Hot Chocolate Mix – Gifts your children can make (and it makes 250 servings!)
- For the Birds – bird feeders to give your bird loving friends and family – or just give your backyard birds
- Brittney’s Biscuits – buttery delights you can even make ahead and freezer
- Plus Simple Suppers for the Holidays
Favorite Holiday Art and Craft Projects and Gift Ideas:
- Winter Fun Pastels Tutorial
- Kendra’s I’m Bored: Christmas Edition
- Christmas Tree in the Snow Pastel
- Candy-labras – cute candy cane candle holders
- One a Day, Slow the Season Down – meaningful gift ideas
- Fun, Frugal Gift Ideas
- Give a Cake – simple, two-step pound cake. Cut it in half and give to neighbors living on either side of you!
- Gift ideas – so many on my Pinterest board
- Teacher Gifts from Brown Paper Packages and more ideas like M&M gifts here
- CD Cookie – appreciating teachers
- The Cook Box – the gift Nana gave the girls that started our Cooking Fun habit
Our Favorite Advent Resources for Christmas School:
This advent series of books by Arnold Ytreeide. Jotham’s Journey, Bartholomew’s Passage, Tabitha’s Travels. We’re reading Tabitha this year. Many homeschooling families enjoy these but I’m still surprised that there are a few that don’t know about them. The whole family participates. Hodgepodgedad reads the few pages before the children’s bedtime, starting the first Sunday of Advent. The memories from reading these books definitely fall into our Christmas favorites.
Names of Jesus Advent Countdown Chain
I have wanted to go over the Names of Jesus with my kids as a study for awhile. This year I thought it would be appropriate to do during the Christmas season.
Since purple is usually a color associated with royalty, I decided to make our paper chain purple and silver.
More Christmas Homeschool Favorites
- The Ultimate Guide to Lovely Christmas Activities for Your Homeschool – even more art, answering the question about homeschooling in December plus nature study too! So, fix a steamy cup of hot chocolate and settle into your favorite chair by the twinkling holiday lights.
- The Christmas Homeschool
- December Homeschool Celebrations
- 5 December Homeschool Family Fun Ideas
AND: You ARE invited! Join us for Christmas Tree for the Animals – sign up for FREE here.
“Stir us up, O Lord, to make ready for your only-begotten Son. May we be able to serve you with purity of soul through the coming of him who lives and reigns.” ~ Advent Prayer, Bartholomew’s Passage
What are your Christmas favorites?